Thursday, May 7, 2009

We've decided

So, we've decided that we are going to have a baby.
We've decided that it's a boy.
We've decided that his name is going to be Mackay David Johnson.
But...we haven't decided how to spell it.
Now, I know some people hate funky spellings but I have loved my name being spelled a little different cause it's pretty common. I will say that I'm glad I married a Johnson and have an easier last name than my maiden name. However, I don't think I NEED to do that to my children.
Lyndzi-It's phonetic, spelled just how it sounds. We thought we were doing the same with Kamden but people assume it's with a "C". Oh well, I like it with a "K".
Now for this little boy that's coming soon, we like Mackay David, it's kinda like David O. McKay and he was a pretty good guy and my dad's name is David and he's a pretty alright guy too. We're going to call him Mac for short.
So, here are the options or suggest one yourself.
McKay-Which makes sense, I just wonder if it will be hard when people alphabetize or in school. (That's something you think about when you've filed lots of dental charts.) Is Mc first or M?
Mackay-My mom's not a fan of this one cause she said it's like 2 names, Mac and Kay. Also, for all of you Idahoans there is a town called Mackay but you say it Mac-ee.

Either way, he'll probably get called Mac most of the time.

So I guess there are really only 2 options. Which one makes more sense?

13 comments:

Bill & Jen said...

Very cute pic. You look so cute pregnant! I've only seen you in pics pregnant, so I can only imagine how cute you look in person.
Oh, I like McKay best! :)

The Brady Bunch said...

I'm liking Mackay only because if you're going to call him Mac then its actually in the name. Where as you'd be calling him Mc...then again that's my weird brain thinking the way it does. By the way LOVE the name and your picture is SO cute!!

Andy and Robyn said...

ok - what about Makay - does it look "girly" - Oh gosh, I don't know. What about Macay - ok, now I'm just blabbing! I am glad though that someone in our family is going to use that name cuz I LOVE it!! :)

Nikki said...

Oh, that's a toughy! I don't think you need to worry about alphabetizing because everything is usually alphabetized by your last name anyway! If you are going to call him Mac, then I like Mackay, but I also like McKay too. I actually think Mackay looks a little more masculine because you see the word Mack instead of Kay..if that makes sense? Blah Blah Blah ...You will make the right decision! Either one will be perfect for him. Good luck...names are always the hardest part about having a baby!!! LOL!

Bryan and Elissa Johnson said...

So I now Danielle will have a say. There is a special someone that she likes that is named MacKay but I can't remember how he spells it. I will ask her today. Glad to know that you are feeling good. Talk to you so. I think I vote for MacKay!

Bryan and Elissa Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan and Elissa Johnson said...

Sorry accidentely posted it twice.

Jeff and Aubree Gittins said...

Congrats on agreeing on a name. I think that I like Mackay better. Although, I just started reading other comments and I like Robyn's suggestion of Makay.

Jen said...

I agree with your mom.....she's so smart! I like McKay.

Mary said...

I like them both! That is funny that you though about filing when thinking about his name. When I saw the Mc that is what I started to think about before I ever read the next sentence! how's NC? We miss you around the office!

Coombs Family said...

My vote is McKae! (I love ae together!) Or, that might look too girly? I dunno. Def like McKay best out of the two options.

Lisa said...

I really like McKay. You know mom's middle name is Kay. Just to add a little more meaning to it, maybe?

Brandon and Jen Jensen said...

Well, I think I like McKay also. And what a fun tie-in to his Grandma! I am anxious to hear what your sis ends up having. Is she the one with the four cute girls?