Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

So I've tried to make lots of different bread recipes and they don't always turn out. Last time, I tried wheat and it didn't rise. I believe Jeff's words were, "Oh, you made me a football." Nice huh?
I made this recipe last night and it was delish. We had it with honey and then some with strawberry jam for our FHE treat.

Here's the recipe:

Honey Whole Wheat Bread
1 cup water (70 degrees to 80 degrees)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

DIRECTIONS
In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).

*I don't like to cook the bread in the machine so I set it to the dough setting and let it mix. Then I put the dough in the bread pan and let it rise a little. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

*I used E.V.O.O. instead of vegetable oil. I could taste a hint of the E.V.O.O.

4 comments:

Andy and Robyn said...

That seriously sounds SO yummy - the only problem is that I don't have a bread machine. Do you think I could just mix it in my Kitchen Aid and it would turn out the same?

Lyndzi said...

Yeah. Mix it, let it rise, mix again, then let it rise in the bread pan.

sharonspot said...

Yum, that looks good. I will have to give this recipe a try!

Jeff and Aubree Gittins said...

Thanks for the recipe! I tried this, but I kinda messed up. My mom always put the pan that the bread would rise in on the stove and turn on the oven on low. So when I put the bread IN the oven, I forgot to turn the oven up. I ended up tasting okay, it was just a little dry on the outside!